Let Georgia Hear- I heart my Hearing Aids Campaign

Let Georgia Hear- I heart my Hearing Aids Campaign

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's hard to be a parent!


Today was a reflection day. Today I was at the plant store(imagine that) and I walked up to a lady that was working and watering the flowers. I asked if she could help me. She turned around and pointed to her ears and mumbled "I can't hear." I paused and we both stood there for a moment. The lady took out a notepad and began to write to me. I wrote back which plant I was looking for and she took me there. I wrote on her pad that my daughter was hearing impaired as well. She became very excited and wanted to know if I signed. I wrote that I knew only basic baby sign at this point. Colin was with me and was absorbing it all. She wrote on her pad, "Encourage her to be involved in both deaf and hearing worlds." Colin and I turned to her and signed 'thank you'........and for a moment I actually felt adequate. At least I was able to communicate that. I was shaken.....Colin was pondering. I felt helpless in that moment.....I could not communicate effectively or the way I wanted to with this lady. Is this how is might be with Amelia? I often wonder and worry about how will we communicate with her when she is at the pool , at the beach, and/or places where she cannot wear her hearing aids. We have held off on signing at this point b/c we want her to become a auditory-verbal child. Some "experts" believe that if you sign early it is like a crutch for the hearing impaired. Still this experience today gave me many emotions. Back in the day there were no implants and even today some people choose to remain deaf. And her words about letting Amelia be in both worlds was emotional too. It is hard to be a parent. We have to make this decision for Amelia and maybe one day she will choose to be a part of the "deaf world" or maybe she will not. It's hard making decisions for someone else's life. It is hard being a parent.....but today I thought about those parents that spend their whole life trying to communicate with their child that has down's syndrome, or autism, or those that try to save their kids from drugs. I just want to be able to communicate with my child. In the end........it's hard being a parent but it's worth it!
Scarlett
p.s.- Amelia is having surgery on this Monday. She is getting tubes in her ears and her tongue clipped. We will have to post afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. Your posting today made me cry. I wish it was easier for you and your beautiful little girl. I truly feel your relationship will be an absolute blessing down the road but I also know it is scarey snd frustrating in the mean time. Even though Madelyn is only 8 I am already learning that I am NOT as cool as I once thought. AND even though she is a fully hearing child, she doesn't always want to HEAR what I have to say. I sry sometimes wondering how to keep the communication open and relate. Amelia will only know this world and probably wont feel slighted as she never knew anything different. I agree with the plant lady though, maybe allow her every avenue for communication because it is difficult enough to communicate when you both hear but may not "hear" what the other has said.
    Good Luck Monday. You guys are all in my prayers a lot. Take Care - Melis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. You & Peter are wonderful parents to all 3 of your precious children. Call on our angels when you get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete