
The preacher's sermon yesterday was titled, "Everything I need to know about life I learned in Kindergarten." He had a list of the common rules you learn at an early age. I thought I would elaborate and put my own story into this topic. I have come up with 3 truths that I learned in Kindergarten or at an early age. Before I start, I must say that this will probably be the most personal post I have made, but I have found blogging to be theraputic so here I go.
#1. I learned that no one is permanent. I learned about death at a young age. My uncle was diagnosed with Luekemia. At the same time my Grandmother Lemke had breast cancer. My mom had to leave us for a while and go out of town to give a blood transfusion to her brother. One personal moment I remember is when my dad and I went to the hospital to check on my grandmother. The nurses told him that children were not allowed on the floor. I remember him getting mad at the nurse ,because he said I do not have anyone to take her(me). Everyone is gone. I felt vulnerable and scared. My mom was gone, my grandmother was sick, and my uncle was dying. My uncle died and left behind to small kids(my wonderful texas cousins.) My uncle died and I learned about death. I learned no one is permanent. People come into your life for many reasons and leave for many reasons. The story does not end there though... This is were my religion started. My pastor, Dr. Cadenhead, happened to be preaching at church one Sunday after all of these events. He said, "And God will never leave you when everyone else does." That hit me so strong then and I try to remind myself of this simple truth in the rough times in my life. No one is permanent, except for God.
#2 Dancing is appropriate for all rites of passage. Dancing is for fun-My childhood is filled with memories of slumber parties. My mom would dance with us girlfriends on Friday nights to Madonna and other oldies. Dancing is for goodbye- My Dad danced with me at my wedding and I remember it so clearly. Dancing is for falling in love-prom, your wedding day or those late night dances with the one you love. Dance when you are sad. Dance when you are mad. Dancing is present in all of my memories of life.
#3 Love is the answer. When you are in Kindergarten you learn simple concepts like: share, be honest, be organized, make friends, respect your elders. All of these teachings represent love. As you get older you learn that your love will be tested, that some will give up on love, that some will lose love to evil, and that love is not always enough. You grow up an learn the opposite of love which is war. Sometimes we support war when we should demand peace. Sometimes we seek peace in the midst of our wars. Love brings peace. Love is the answer.
So if you stop and think about it, our kids are learning right now all they ever will NEED to know. The extra education allowed us to carry on debates over the dinner table, allowed for us to be good at a trade, and allowed us to make more money, but...We learned long ago in Kindergarten all we ever REALLY needed to know.
-Scarlett
p.s. pictures from Easter 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment