Let Georgia Hear- I heart my Hearing Aids Campaign

Let Georgia Hear- I heart my Hearing Aids Campaign

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I am a Teacher



This past week has centered around the theme of teaching for me. Last night as I was driving home I had a revelation. I live to teach and I teach what I live. Let me explain........
I live to teach. The past few weeks have been stressful. We have been trying to figure out how I am going to manage and balance next year. Amelia will need to be taken to speech school 4 mornings a week. While Colin starts Kindergarten at our local public school, Kendall is still home with me. I have been trying to figure out a schedule where I could still homeschool her next year. You know that scenario where you are asked who would you let go of if you were on a cliff? Well it is not life or death situation, but I feel like I am trying to "hold on" to all three kids. I know Amelia needs more attention/help but I must not disregard my other children. Peter and I sat down and talked about all these issues. The conversation helped me realize or reaffirmed that yes I am a mom, but I am also a teacher by heart. I loved teaching as a profession and I love teaching my kids. I was telling him that I did not want to put Kendall in a preschool, because I have enjoyed teaching my kids at home. This is the main reason that I am staying at home. For now we think we have figured out a way for me to homeschool Kendall and take Amelia to her speech school. One thing is for sure, I live/love to teach.
I teach what I live. This second statement of mine comes from an experience I had last night. I tutor high school science students some nights to make extra money. The student I taught last night needed help with Genetics. As we got to the genetic disorders there was a question about deafness. I got emotional and was not expecting it. I have taught Genetics a million times but this time was different. I shared with her how Amelia inherited the deaf gene from us. It made the lesson more powerful.......life application. I was teaching what I am living.
Lastly, I wanted to take this moment to thank all teachers for their work. I want to remind them of the power they hold. I want them to know that they are lucky they get to impact lives. I want them to remember to live to teach and most importantly teach what you live. Share your story and maybe the students will be impacted by it.
Scarlett Giles

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely AMAZING and inspiring! You are a fabulous mother, friend and TEACHER :)

    ReplyDelete